Thursday, August 1, 2013

Creative thinking ~ zucchini

Hello everyone!  By making this blog I hope I can inspire people to try new fruits and vegetables that they never thought they would, or to change their mind and give a disliked item a second chance.  I volunteer at a Bountiful Basket site locally and I am always hearing participants wonder what they will do with some of the more unfamiliar basket items that they have contributed for so that they are not "wasted".  Sometimes I just do not have enough time to let them know just how easy it is to incorporate those items into their everyday cooking and not be intimidated by it.  My friends are always telling me that they wish they cooked like I do, but they fail to realize - even with me constantly telling them - that what I cook isn't really as complicated as it sounds! Maybe with this blog they will see how easy most of it is!

For instance:  Zucchini

Not many people know what to do with zucchini other than making bread with it or frying it.  I take it and use it in sauces and soups.  You get the extra serving of vegetables and it blends into your other ingredients. My kids love it and don't think twice about eating it.




Penne Primavera

Penne pasta, cooked and drained
2 jars spaghetti sauce of your choice
1 cup shredded zucchini (or squash)
1-2 chopped bell peppers - any color
1-2 cups chopped carrots
1/2 onion, chopped
1-2 cups broccoli, cooked ( I throw these in with the pasta and cook until al dente) 
1 pound ground hamburger, pork, turkey, or Italian sausage

Brown meat and veggies together. Add sauce and simmer for around ten minutes. You can either serve over pasta, or toss together and serve!


This recipe includes shredded zucchini, carrots, bell pepper, and broccoli.  The carrots help reduce the acidity of the tomato sauce and the zucchini will break down in the sauce and become unnoticeable for the most part. Since the zucchini has a mild flavor, it doesn't really affect the sauce.  My kids, 6 and 12, ate this and loved it. They were surprised that the veggies could taste so good!

So, next time you have produce you don't think you will like or don't know what to do with, try thinking outside the box and see where you can sneak it in something you already like!

No comments:

Post a Comment