Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Margarita-Marguerita Pasta

As my husband has learned over the years, what I say we are having for dinner is not always what we end up having for dinner.  I always have a rough idea of what I am going to cook, but most of the time it evolves as I actually begin to cook.  My husband has learned to ask, "What are we really having for dinner?" 

Last night was a prime example of that.  I set out to make pasta with chicken, lime and capers, but ended up making Margarita-Marguerita Pasta instead.  At the dinner table I was listing the ingredients, and the hubby asked if it had capers..... to which I replied, "Not tonight. I changed it.  Capers will be next time."  His thoughts? "Of course you did."

I love limes. I love cilantro. I love chicken marinated in lime and cilantro. I love marguerita pizza from our local Italian restaurant. It has sun-dried tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, and garlic. I love margaritas. I love cilantro, limes, and tequila..... So, I just combined them all together and voila! Margarita-Marguerita pasta was born!  It was a big hit and here's what I did!



Margarita-Marguerita Pasta

2 chicken breasts, cubed to bite-size pieces
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pkg mushrooms, stems removed and cut or sliced according to your preference
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, sliced thinly   (*optional)
2 handfuls cilantro, chopped and divided in half
1/4 c tequila, or more depending on taste preferences (I prefer the gold variety and probably used almost 1/2 cup)
1/4 - 1/2 c lime juice, depending on how much you like lime
1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
8-10 grape tomatoes, quartered
pasta water, as needed for sauce
1 small box spaghetti, cooked


Heat oil in large skillet. Saute mushrooms, onion,  half of cilantro for five minutes and then add cubed chicken, tequila, carrot, and lime juice.  Cook on low heat for about ten to fifteen minutes to give alcohol time to cook off and chicken is done.  Add tomatoes  remaining cilantro, and cooked pasta.  Use a little pasta water if more sauce is needed to coat pasta. Stir in mozzarella and serve warm.

My version was quite lime-y but that's how we roll at our house!  This is one way to get my husband to eat pasta without complaining - NO RED SAUCE! 

My next vision involves limes, cilantro, corn tortillas, and sour cream....... Now, I'm hungry!


No comments:

Post a Comment